Tuesday, July 19, 2016

A Rhino

A little paper craft project I think!

So in the desire for a mini gallery wall in my living room I wanted something a little 3D. Everyone seems to have stags and moose heads with big impressive horns that have come from some vintage shop costing an arm and a leg or from your everyday homewares store for €5 but plastic and cheap looking.

Something a little different perhaps?

Enter the Rhino Project!

I bought my Rhino instructions from Etsy. Its a digital download so the designer sends you a PDF and its up to you from there.
Here is the Rhino I chose https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1144810552

There are some other beautiful animals to choose from the sellers shop.

Other websites offer kits, ideal for someone who is new to paper craft or an ideal gift. 

Most of these printables are for A3 sized blueprints. I didn't want such a huge rhino so I went for A4 which still turned out pretty big. Plus I didn't have to seek out an A3 printer.

So!! Time to get started. Print out the instructions and READ THEM!!! Do not skip a word you may regret it later.

Print out the blueprints and cut them out.


I of course had to make it more difficult for myself. I wasn't happy with xerox paper its too thin and had a tonne of card left over from our wedding so I glued the blueprints onto the card, it was too thick for my printer, and then cut it all out again.......great fun!!



Time to start creasing and folding. There is a key in the instructions that tells you which lines need folding and which need creasing in the opposite direction. A skinny ruler and a good edge on a desk or a table are really helpful here.


When assembling I had a little trouble with glue as it wasn't holding the heavy pieces of card together so I had a mixture of glue, double sided tape and tiny clothes pegs as holders. Paper clips would work great too!! 

Its a numbers game, you match the numbers together like a big jigsaw puzzle.




It gets a little fiddly towards the end but hang in there!!! It will look amazing when it is done.


And here he is!! My little rhino friend. Look at the beautiful angles!!

Im not quite done yet. I would like a much smoother finish so Im going cover him up somehow whether it be paint or papier maché. I will do a follow up post next week.

I just love him he's so unusual!! 

Now to clean up........


No comments:

Post a Comment