Friday, July 22, 2016

A New Home For Rhino

He's up!! My little Rhino has been rehoused to my living room wall and I think he is quite happy there.

Last time I posted on Rhino he had just been pieced together and because I chose a sturdy paper to make him he didn't sit quite so neatly together so he needed a little make-over.


I had a lot of packing paper lying around. You know the kind you get in a homeware store that they use to wrap up your dishes so they don't break on the way home? I usually keep some to have just in case and it was perfect for papier maché.


To start with I taped up all of Rhinos gaps with masking tape.




Next step was to cut strips of the paper, inch thick strips work great for all of the angles.


The easiest papier mache adhesive solution is 1 part PVA glue to 2 parts water. It looks hideous but it mixes well and forms a great finish.



So mix up your paste and get painting on the paper. I think I coated Rhino 3 times, adding a few more layers to the particularly gappy bits.

The paper I used was unbleached so he looks very natural. 

Should I paint him?? Im not sure. Im afraid theres no going back if I do. I like him au natural. The light colour really shows off his lovely angles.


If you want to make a Rhino like mine here is the link again to my previous blog post http://twillandtwee.blogspot.ie/2016/07/a-rhino.html

Nic xx

No comments:

Post a Comment